Comedy is a Parent Genre (along with Drama) in which the main emphasis is on humour, and has all humor related works falling within it. Comedy has no boundaries regarding fusion with other genres, making it a main genre, crossover genre, and a part of many hybrid genres.
Films in the Comedy Genre encompass these elements:
- Entertaining by design for amusement
- Most often exaggerate the characteristics of real life for humorous effect
- Traditionally have a happy ending (black comedy being an exception)
- Majority of films have the main intent being to amuse
- Sometimes films contain political and social commentary
- Unlike other genres, Comedy puts much more focus on individual starsOne of the oldest genres in film, some of the very first silent movies were comedies, as slapstick comedy often relies on visual depictions, without requiring sound. Later, when the sound came in 1927, Comedy films took another swing, due to laughter can now be caused not only by the burlesque situations, but also the dialogues.Comedy has many former stand-up comics transitioning to the film industry due to their popularity.