Stoner film is a subgenre of comedy films that revolve around the use of cannabis. Typically, such movies show cannabis use in a comic and positive fashion. Generally, cannabis use is one of the main themes, and inspires much of the plot. They are often representative of cannabis culture.
Many stoner movies have certain elements and themes in common:
- The template most often involves protagonists (most often we see two friends as in the Buddy Film Structure)
- Protagonists have or are attempting to find marijuana and have some task to complete
- Often stoner films involve evading authority figures such as law enforcement agents, who are portrayed as comically inept, but also parents, coworkers, friends, and security guards who disapprove of the protagonists’ marijuana usage usually out of a greater lack of acceptance of their lifestyle of leisure and innocence.
- Most serious moments are intended ironically, often to parody overwrought counterparts in mainstream cinema.
- The comic story arcs often approach or fall over the line into slapstick
Smiley Face was the first stoner film to feature a female protagonist. The men are well-meaning and usually sexually frustrated, and will usually come comically close to sexual success with exceedingly beautiful women only to have the opportunity lost due to chance or ineptitude.