Romance films (or romance movies) are romantic love stories recorded in visual media for broadcast in theaters and on cinema that focus on passion, emotion, and the affectionate romantic involvement of the main characters
- Main characters experience a journey in which their genuinely strong, true and pure romantic love takes them through dating, courtship or marriage.
- Romance films make the romantic love story or the search for strong and pure love and romance the main plot focus.
- Romance lovers can face obstacles such as finances, physical illness, various forms of discrimination, psychological restraints or family that threaten to break their union of love.
- Tensions of day-to-day life, temptations (of infidelity), and differences in compatibility enter into the plots of romantic films.
- Romantic films usually explore the essential themes of love at first sight, young with older love, unrequited romantic love, obsessive love, sentimental love, spiritual love, forbidden love/romance, platonic love, sexual and passionate love, sacrificial love, explosive and destructive love, and tragic love.
- In romantic television series, the development of such romantic relationships may play out over many episodes, and different characters may become intertwined in different romantic arcs.
- Romantic films serve as great escapes and fantasies for viewers, especially if the two people finally overcome their difficulties, declare their love, and experience life “happily ever after”, implied by a reunion and final kiss.